Today’s article features a Marco Polo app review! This video messaging app is quickly growing in popularity, and is set to be the next biggest competitor of SnapChat, with some users even preferring the Marco Polo app to the famed SnapChat app, noting that the Marco Polo app is easier to use.
Marco Polo has already received over 10 million downloads via the Google App Store (not including iOS downloads). Its outstanding feature is that this app enables users to use video as a way to text/message people within their existing social circles, and is NOT intended as a way to meet new people, which makes it super idea for users who don’t want to be contacted by strangers. Keep reading below for our in-depth Marco Polo app review!
Marco Polo App Review Snapshot
|Type of App||Video Messaging App|
|Platforms||iOS and Android|
|Google Play||Download Page|
Overview of Marco Polo
Marco Polo is an app that can be used on either iOS or Android operating systems that allows users to have face-to-face video conversations with their friends and family. The app enables users to have conversations either one-on-one or as a group. A recorded video can be sent directly to other users, or videos can be sent to specific groups of friends or family. Users are able to create as many different groups as they wish.
How Does It Work?
After downloading the app, users can sign up using their e-mail address and/or phone number. The app gives an option for users to connect to their contact lists in order to find their friends and family who are using Marco Polo. Once users have logged in, they will be direct to an area where they can connect with their contacts, view their existing contact list, and sort their contacts into groups.
The app is designed in a super user-friendly way, where users can simply tap on the square of the person or group they wish to start a video chat with. This function will also provide access to video chat histories and allow users to view past videos chats with that person or group.
Recommended read: Zello App Review
These few steps are all it really takes to use the basic functions of this app, which makes it very efficient. However, Marco Polo also features a range of other optional functions that enable the user to get more creative with their video chatting. These features include the following:
- Video filters.
- Voice filters.
- The ability to share a daily story.
Is Marco Polo App Safe?
As the Marco Polo app is intended for users to connect directly to their existing social contacts, rather than enabling them to meet strangers, the Marco Polo app can be considered reasonably safe.
However, it is important to note here that since this app does request access to a users contact lists, some users may not prefer to give up this level of privacy in order to use the app. Additionally, some users have noted that the app may at times try to include old, deleted contacts to a users profile. Despite this, the user is still in full control of which of their contacts are added to their Marco Polo friends list.
Pros & Cons
In this section of our Marco Polo app review, we will go over some of the pros and cons of using this app, based on the feedback from other users of this app.
- This is a really fun and playful app which takes the idea of ‘texting’ to a modern and updated level using video.
- Marco Polo is easy and efficient to use, making the video chatting process effortless.
- Video chatting is a more personalized way to keep in touch with family and friends.
- The video history functions serve as a type of digital scrapbook of moments you shared with your friends and family.
- Compared to SnapChat, many users find Marco Polo easier to use.
- Marco Polo provides the perfect way to stay close to loved ones who live in other states or overseas.
- Users who like this app say that the voice and video features help to make this app super fun to play around with, especially in group chats.
- The app combines the convenience of texting, with the personalization of a face-to-face conversation.
- Notifications cannot be customized to specific contacts.
- There are no time limitations or timers for how long a video text can be, which can be a nice feature, but may also lead some users to talking too long per single message.
- The default settings of the app will sometimes send random and unwanted notifications which encourage the user to send a video to their contacts, however, these notifications can be halted using the notification settings.
- Overall, the settings of this app could be more customizable.
- Notifications from other apps can create an audible overlay when a video message is being recorded.
Registration & Login Process
- Step 1: Search for the Marco Polo app in the Google Play Store for Android, or the iTunes or the App Store for Apple/iOS devices.
- Step 2: Download the Marco Polo app (the official app has a beach ball icon).
- Step 3: Open the app once it has finished downloading.
- Step 4: Click the blue ‘Get Started’ button.
- Step 5: Enter your phone number. The app will send you a text to verify your phone number.
- Step 6: Now the app will help you locate your friends that you can connect with. The app will enable you to invite friends to also use the app, as well as show you which of your friends are already using it. You can also choose to skip the step of inviting friends.
- Step 7: Once you have connected with the friends you have chosen, Marco Polo will direct you to the home page which will show all of your friends and enable you to start chatting with them at your leisure.
Overall, the registration process is very easy and has a similar login process as most other apps. From start to finish the downloading and registration process should take no more than 3-5 minutes, and then you will be ready to start chatting!
*Note: While it does not appear that the Marco Polo app restricts the ages of its users, most parents seem to agree that the app is most appropriate for users aged 13 and up.
Marco Polo Alternatives
Some other video messaging apps similar to Marco Polo are as follows:
- Google Duo
- Facebook Messenger
- Live Chat
- BIGO LIVE
* All apps in the above lists are available for free, although some offer in-app purchases and most of them contain ads.
This concludes our Marco Polo app review. Overall, when used in a responsible manner and with parental supervision for children, the Marco Polo app can be a fun and exciting way for friends and family members to keep in touch from day-to-day or across long distances.
Available to users for free-use and featuring a number of quality video and voice features means that anyone can afford to use this app and get creative by sending fun and silly video messages to their favorite people. While there are a number of apps competing with the Marco Polo app, this app still stands out as it is intended strictly for use with people the user already knows, while other apps enable users to meet new people.
Have you already tried the Marco Polo app? Did you find our Marco Polo app review useful? Let us know about your experiences down below!